The Hawker Siddeley Harrier “Jump Jetˮ is a British V/STOL aeroplane developed in the 1960s. The initial version, the Harrier GR.1, was based on the pre-production P.1127 (RAF) fighter, of which a batch of 60 was ordered for the RAF in 1967. A similar model – designated Mk.50, with simplified navigational/attack system, was exported to the United States as the AV-8A, for use by the Marine Corps and a total of 102 aircraft were delivered during the early 1970s. Some 60 aircraft were upgraded as the AV-8Cs by mid 1980s.
The Harrier GR.1/AV-8 was a single-seat fixed-wing all-metal monoplane powered by a R-R Pegasus turbojet (US designation F402), used for ground-attack, close air support, reconnaissance and fighter roles. It was fitted with two air intakes and four vectoring nozzles for directing the thrust generated by the engine. It had a tandem undercarriage and two outrigger landing gear units. External store hard points were installed for carrying a variety of weapons and external fuel tanks: two under each wing and one under the fuselage, while two Aden cannon gun pods could also be fitted beneath the fuselage.
The Harrier was a very innovative aeroplane and the only truly successful V/STOL design of the many that arose during that period of time and it became the versatile warrior of the RAF.
Colour schemes included in the kit:
1) Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR Mk.3, XV738, Grey B, No.4 Sq., RAF, during ‘Exercise Match Coat‘, Gütersloh Air Base, Germany, September 1984
2) Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR Mk.3, XZ129/A2604 (ex-RAF a/c), Black ETS, Engineering Training School (ETS), RN, serving as an instructional airframe, RNAS Yeovilton (HMS Heron), Somerset, U.K., 1992-94
3) AV-8A Harrier (Hawker Siddeley Harrier Mk.50), BuNo 158703, White 703, VMA-513 (Marine Attack Squadron 513) ‘Flying Nightmares’, US Marine Corps, Sheppard AFB, Texas, U.S.A., April 1980
4) AV-8C Harrier (Hawker Siddeley Harrier Mk.50), BuNo 158387/N719NA, Black 719, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Ames Research Center, NAS Moffett Field, California, U.S.A., 1986-1995